Tourism New Westminster acknowledges that we operate within the traditional territory of the Qayqayt First Nation.
Visitor Service Coordinator
Tourism New Westminster is seeking 2 Visitor Service Coordinators to take on programs and tasks that support the organization’s initiatives. The Visitor Service Coordinators will work cooperatively with other staff, Consultants, Tourism Committee and Board members as well as community partners.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
Visitor Services and Destination Development
- Answer questions and supply tourism information specific to New Westminster through email, social media, and telephone
- Provide tourism information at the Visitor Centre and represent the organization in public facing situations (TBD)
- Update online event calendar and business listings
- Update internal contact lists and records
- Work collaboratively with businesses and partners to develop ‘staycation’ concepts and experience packages for local audience
- Distribute promotional materials when required
- Complete administrative tasks as directed by staff
Communications and Marketing
- Develop creative ideas for blogs, social media, and campaigns
- Implement campaigns to support tourism businesses
- Create attractive booklets/downloadables for promotions
- Assist with developing wayfinding collateral
- Track and evaluate metrics to measure the impacts of projects
- Research industry best practices
Skills and Experience
- Proficiency in developing specific and appropriate content for marketing platforms/promotions
- Ability to build innovative experiences for visitors and develop projects from concept to implementation
- Affinity for engaging visitors and stakeholders in conversation to promote projects or initiatives
- Experience in electronic file organization, sorting and archiving
- Proficiency with Office 365 and its applications
- Experience with software like Canva or similar tools to create promotional materials
- Ability to collaborate effectively with partner organizations in joint initiatives
- Reliable, professional, discrete and trustworthy
- Friendly and effective in personal and digital interactions
- Passionate about the Tourism industry and attracting visitors to New Westminster
- Aware of trends and adept at applying a creative lens to problem-solving
- Ability to work independently and effectively
- Self-starter, proactive and confident
This position reports to the Management Consultant and will work remotely as long as the current public health order is in place. If there are changes to the health order, remote work may be accompanied by some in-person tasks at our office at Anvil Centre or on assignment. Generally, there will be some fieldwork required to familiarize with New Westminster. Regular check-ins with the Management Consultant are required.
Terms: $16/hr +4% in lieu of vacation based on a 40-hour week starting in May and ending late August. Typical hours would be 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday, but there may be some evening or weekend shifts related to special projects.
These positions are only made possible through the Canada Summer Jobs program, this federal grant funding requires that successful candidates:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Tourism New West believes in employment equity and encourages applications from youth who self-identify as being part of underrepresented groups or as having additional barriers to entering or staying in the labour market.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Management Consultant, Barbara Fairbrother at email@example.com. The application period is open from April 24th until May 16th. We thank all who apply for a summer employment opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.