Tourism New Westminster acknowledges that we operate within the traditional territory of the Qayqayt First Nation.
Tourism New Westminster provides visitors with an authentic visitor experience that highlights the City’s unique attributes and provides sustainable economic growth through tourism to the community.
Our focus is to lead, develop, and promote New Westminster in a way that will attract visitors to enjoy the opportunities in New Westminster as a destination through:
- Strategic partnerships and collaboration
- Innovation and knowledge management
- Effective stakeholder communication
Our Strategic Plan outlines organizational activities in 3 core Goal areas:
Goal 1 – Destination Marketing
Draw Visitors to New Westminster as their destination of choice with its distinctive identity, sense of place, and unique assets.
Goal 2 – Visitor Services
Ensure visitor information is available when and where visitors need it to enhance experiences and extend stays- whether they are planning their visit or are in-destination enjoying an event.
Goal 3 – Destination Development
Enhance the quality of tourism services, amenities, businesses and practices through effective planning and capacity-building to ensure New Westminster is well-positioned to make future strategic decisions, address issues, and capitalize on opportunities.
The Executive Summary of the Strategic Plan is available here.
Member of the Board
Number of Board members needed:
2 (possible up to 4)
Position start date:
2-4 hours a month, depending on committee work and attendance at events.
The Tourism New Westminster Board operates as a governing body with the responsibility to ensure stewardship of the organization, provide sound financial management, engage in robust fundraising activities, and develop a visionary strategic plan to provides visitors with an authentic visitor experience that highlights the City’s unique attributes and provides sustainable economic growth through tourism to the community.
In addition to this, each member of the Board is expected to chair or be a member on one of the Committees of the Board in order to carry out the work of the Board and our strategic plan. Placement on Board committees is based on Board member’s interests, passions, and skill set. The frequency Committees meet dependent on the Committee; therefore, time commitments beyond board meetings may vary.
Board is currently meeting on the 4th Wednesday of the month in May, July, September, November, January, March, starting at 10:30 am – 12:00 pm.
Board members are expected to read all materials in advance and come prepared to contribute to the discussion. Once a year, the Board meets for a half-day, on a weekend in the Spring, to review our Strategic Plan. From time to time, there are other sector-related events that Board members are expected to attend.
We are currently seeking Board members who have a passion for enhancing tourism in New Westminster and a creative and innovative skillset that will help develop and implement our Strategic Goals and objectives. The ideal candidate will have previous Board experience (an asset but not necessary) and provide expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Accommodation Sector Meetings/Conference Arts and Culture Attractions
- Sports Retail
- Fund Development Economic Development Marketing Accounting/Finance
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Commit to the mission and vision of Tourism New Westminster
- Familiarize themselves with Tourism New Westminster’s programs and initiatives
- Contribute in the areas of board governance, strategic planning, finance and fundraising, and resource development (human and capital)
- Prepare for and attend board meetings and attend the yearly AGM in May
- Chair a committee
- Attend special events as required
- Act as an ambassador of Tourism New Westminster to external stakeholders and the community.
Attributes of Tourism New Westminster board members include:
- clear understanding or commitment to learn about non-profit governance
- ability to work on a team and communicate effectively
- a passion for tourism
- have the time to commit to completing the work of Tourism New Westminster responsibilities
Tourism New Westminster is committed to providing all board members with an appropriate orientation to the organization and their role as Directors to ensure all Board members are familiar with and equipped to carry out their responsibilities effectively.
Board Members who contribute their time and knowledge benefit from:
- an opportunity to contribute to the growth and success of tourism in our community
- an opportunity to develop personal leadership through committees and projects of the Board
- improved strategic and visionary thinking skills
- building meaningful relationships with fellow board members, staff and community
- an opportunity to use your creativity to contribute to an area of your passion
Tourism New Westminster seeks to have a Board of Directors that reflects both the cultural and artistic diversity of New Westminster. Tourism New Westminster wishes to highlight our community’s diversity and would like to encourage those on the LGBTQ spectrum, non-binary, people of colour, Indigenous, and/or disabled, to apply.
How to Apply:
Please apply with a resume and cover letter outlining your skills and interests in tourism to:
Tracy Eyssens, President of the Tourism New Westminster:
Deadline to apply: February 1, 2021
In your cover letter, please talk about what you hope to contribute as a member of the Tourism New Westminster Board and what you hope to gain from being on the Tourism New Westminster Board. We appreciate your interest and will contact you to set up a time to meet.
Click for a pdf of this Call here.