Call for Board Members 2020
Tourism New Westminster acknowledges that we operate within
the traditional territory of the Qayqayt First Nation.
Tourism New Westminster provides visitors with an authentic visitor experience that highlights the City’s unique attributes and provides sustainable economic growth through tourism to the community.
Our focus is to lead, develop and promote New Westminster in a way that will attract visitors to enjoy the opportunities in New Westminster as a destination through:
- Strategic partnerships and collaboration
- Innovation and knowledge management
- Effective stakeholder communication
Member of the Board
Number of board members needed:
2 (possible up to 4)
Position start date:
2-4 hours a month depending on committee work and attendance at events.
The Tourism New Westminster Board operates as a governing body with the responsibility to ensure stewardship of the organization, provide sound financial management, engage in robust fundraising activities and develop a visionary strategic plan to provides visitors with an authentic visitor experience that highlights the City’s unique attributes and provides sustainable economic growth through tourism to the community.
In addition to this, each member of the Board is expected to chair or be a member on one of the Committees of the Board in order to carry out the work of the Board and our strategic plan. Placement on Board committees is based on Board member’s interests, passions and skill set. The frequency Committees meet is dependent on the Committee, therefore time commitments beyond board meetings may vary.
Board meetings take place on the 4th Wednesday of the month in May, September, November, January, March, starting at 10:30am – 12:00pm.
Board members are expected to read all materials in advance and come prepared to contribute to the discussion. Once a year the Board meets for a half-day, on a weekend in the Spring, to review our Strategic Plan. From time to time there are other sector related events that Board members are expected to attend.
We are currently seeking Board members that have a passion for enhancing tourism in New Westminster and a creative and innovative skill set that will assist in the development and implementation of our Strategic Goals and objectives. The ideal candidate will have previous Board experience (an asset but not necessary) and provide expertise in one of more of the following areas:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Commit to the mission and vision of Tourism New Westminster
- Familiarize themselves with Tourism New Westminster’s programs and initiatives
- Contribute in the areas of board governance, strategic planning, finance and fundraising, and resource development (human and capital)
- Prepare for and attend board meetings and attend the yearly AGM in May
- Chair a committee
- Attend special events as required
- Act as an ambassador of the Tourism New Westminster to external stakeholders and community.
Attributes of Tourism New Westminster board members include:
- clear understanding or commitment to learn about non-profit governance
- ability to work on a team and communicate effectively
- a passion for tourism
- have the time to commit to completing the work of Tourism New Westminster responsibilities
Tourism New Westminster is committed to providing all members of the Board with an appropriate orientation to the organization and their role as Directors, to ensure all Board members are familiar with and equipped to effectively carry out their responsibilities.
Board Members who contribute their time and knowledge benefit from:
- an opportunity to contribute to the growth and success of tourism in our community
- an opportunity to develop personal leadership through committees and projects of the Board
- improved strategic and visionary thinking skills
- building meaningful relationships with fellow board members, staff and community
- an opportunity to use your creativity to contribute in an area of your passion
Tourism New Westminster is seeking to have a Board of Directors that reflects both the cultural and artistic diversity of New Westminster. Tourism New Westminster wishes to highlight the diversity of our community and would like to encourage those on the LGBTQ spectrum, non-binary, people of colour, Indigenous, and/or disabled, to apply.
How to Apply:
Please apply with a resume and cover letter outlining your skills and interests in tourism to:
Tracy Eyssens, President of the Tourism New Westminster: email@example.com
Deadline to apply: April 30, 2020
In your cover letter please talk about what you hope to contribute as a member of Tourism New Westminster Board and what you hope to gain from being on the Tourism New Westminster Board. We appreciate your interest and will contact you to set up a time to meet.